So good! Don’t tell your guests that it’s vegan, and they’ll never guess…
Vegan Chocolate Mousse Cake
Makes a 20cm dia cake – Serves 8
- 11/2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C, and line with paper or grease a 20cm round cake tin.
- Sift A-E together into a bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mix with a blender until smooth.
- Pour into cake tin, bake for 45 minutes, or until cake skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool, remove carefully from the pan for further cooling.
- 1 block (200-250g) dairy-free dark chocolate, melted.
(Many dark chocolate brands use milk solids, check the ingredients)
(An easy method to melt chocolate; break it into squares and microwave for 20 seconds at a time, stirring well each time, until all melted)
- 1 packet (250-350g) of silken tofu
- 2 tbsp milk (coconut, almond, rice etc)
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Generous pinch of salt
- Put all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Blend at high speed for several minutes. The mousse should be completely smooth.
- Half a jar of strawberry jam
- Turn the cake out of the pan.
- Using a long bread knife, cut the cake in half horizontally. Put the lower half on a plate, and the upper half aside.
(The cake will be fragile, so take care to prevent it from cracking)
- If your cake tin is the spring-form kind, place the ring over the cake.
- With a spatula, spread the mousse over the lower half of the cake.
- Place the upper half of the cake over the top.
- Melt the jam in the microwave (about a minutes) until molten.
(Warning: Hot jam is hot.)
- Spread/pour the jam over the top of the cake.
- Chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
Serve on its own or with ice cream/sorbet.
If vegan: Do your best to keep everyone else away from your precious cake. Precious…